Saturday, 9 August 2008

An Introduction to Speed Reading.

What’s the difference between an homage and a plain old rip-off? I’m not sure I know.

I’ve been deliberating over text within the piece – will there be text at all? If so, where will it come from, how will it be generated, and how will it be incorporated within the piece?
Jane Munro set me the challenge of finding a text which I could potentially use in the Failure Project – this may not be it, but it’s a damn fine text to start with. I took Chris Goode’s ‘An Introduction to Speed Reading’ and set my performers the task of, yes, speed-reading it. I’ve been meaning to set a task based on speech, sound and the movements of the mouth so this seemed perfect.
I’ve edited the results here in my ‘homage’ to both Chris Goode and Beckett’s ‘Not I’ (which I will try to find a video for to add here). Follow this link to read about various productions of ‘Not I’, and the difficulties the actresses who performed in it faced – for some, it became a terrifying but illuminating experience:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_I

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has literally made my day.

cg.x

Amanda said...

Thanks, Chris! I'm so glad you got the chance to see it, and that you liked it. It was a really interesting exercise - none of the performers had ever read it before, which, alongside the task of having to read it quickly, generated a lot of interesting moments (they ALL pronouced Deutsche Bank as 'douche bag' - hmmm). Anyway, thanks again for watching!

Amanda
x