Monday, 11 August 2008

Word Cloud

I came across a cool little website on the internet that takes blogs and turns them into 'word clouds', in which the most used words are displayed largest. Take a look at the word cloud generated from this blog:



What word is notable by its absence?

FAILURE.

I cant even find where 'failure' is, though I'm sure it must make an appearance somewhere. I started wondering what this meant and realised I was relieved to see that it wasn't the main feature there.

To be continuing to center on 'failure' as the sole focus of my work would to me mean I wasn't doing it right, that I wasn't developing my ideas and taking them depper, further. It's becoming about more than failure, now - through the frame of failure in the performing body I am looking at other things, asking other questions, making other discoveries.

This isn't failure for the sake of failure (can that technically even exist?) - it is there in order to uncover profound questions about performance, about the way performers and people deal with their bodies and with others, about presence, about liveness and the moment in performance, about honesty and spontanetity in performance, what they mean, and why they are important.

So, what words feature most prominently? 'Performers', followed by 'body' and 'moments'...hooray!

I think I'll keep making word clouds throughout the process, as a visual aid to my explorations and how they are progressing.

No comments: